October 31, 1880 - A Forgotten Graveyard
From an 1868 map of Newark:
This Burial Ground was at the corner of Howard and Court Streets.
From "The Benedictines in Newark 1842 - 1992"
In 1860 all cemeteries within the city limits were condemned and had to be moved, in order to make room for housing. The Priory purchased land in East Orange and moved to that site the bodies that had been buried at the original cemetery. Newark Abbey continues to bury its dead in Saint Mary's Cemetery, East Orange.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|