Newark, New Jersey Cemeteries
(Plus ones that were used by Newark residents)

The original Old Burying Ground in downtown Newark was about two and a third acres. As the cemetery grew, Newark officials (1828) purchased a burial place in the eastern end of town and residents were given the opportunity to rebury their ancestors to this new cemetery without expense. In the following decades, the grass and shrubbery of the Old Burying Ground were trampled under and the headstones were scattered, defaced or broken. In 1858 the common council prohibited any more internments in the Old Burying Ground and forbade the establishment of new cemeteries within the Watch and Lamp District. The new cemeteries were placed at least a mile away from the population center for health reasons (the belief that the corpses poisoned the air with their emanations causing Yellow Fever). These new cemeteries were built to also serve the living by providing shade walks, forest groves, shrubbery and flowers where people could go to find sanctuary from the maelstrom of daily life through spiritual and aesthetic repose.

From "Hand book and guide for the city of Newark, New Jersey: carefully edited and compiled from authentic sources" Newark Daily Advertiser Print, 1872:

"Though many of the churches in the city are still surrounded by their old graveyards, internments have long ceased to be made in them. The rural cemetery has superseded all other forms of sepulture, as being not only better adapted to the purpose, but as affording greater certainty that the remains of the dead will remain undisturbed by the extension of the city."

The New Jersey State Cemetery Board
124 Halsey Street
PO Box 45036
Newark, New Jersey 0710
973-504-6553.

Photos

1900 Map of Newark showing the Cemeteries
(the map is just a reference, some cemeteries may or may not have been around in 1900)

An Ordinance Regulating Interments of the Dead (December, 1, 1837)

Burial records for the Secaucus Potters Field

Follow Old Newark on Facebook


Cemetery Address Founded
Burial Ground (Howard/Court) Corner of Howard Street and Court Street From 1868 map of Newark
Burial Ground (Plane Street) Plane Street From 1872 map of Newark
Clinton Cemetery Association Irvington (Camptown) Founded Feb 28, 1844
Coeyman Cemetery Woodland Section  
Colored Grave Yard 20-26 Wall Street From 1872 map of Newark
Evergreen Cemetery Hillside Still Active
Fairmount Cemetery South Orange Avenue-Central Avenue, Newark Founded 1855, still active
First Baptist Church Burying Ground    
First Presbyterian Church Cemetery Broad Street (different than the Old Burying Ground)
Franklin Street Methodist Cemetery Tichenor's Lane, Parkhurst Street and New Jersey Railroad Avenue Nothing is known about this cemetery other than the internments were moved to Fairmount.
German Evangelical Church Cemetery Mulberry Street  
Holy Sepulchre Cemetery/The Bishop's Cemetery Grove Street, Newark/East Orange Founded 1859
Lyons Farms Baptist Church Cemetery    
Mount Olivet R. C. Cemetery 220 Mt. Olivet Ave Founded 1871
Mount Pleasant Cemetery 375 Broadway (Belleville Avenue), Newark Founded 1844
Old Burying Ground (First Presbyterian Church Cemetery) Broad Street, Halsey Street Original Burying Ground for Newark, moved 1889
Newark City Cemetery Waverly Street, Newark  
Potter's Field Waverly Street, Newark Founded ~1869
Rosedale Cemetery Orange  
Rosemont Memorial Park Elizabeth  
St. John's (Old) Catholic Cemetery Mulberry Street/Belleville Avenue, Newark  
St. Mary's Catholic Cemetery Forrest Avenue, East Orange  
St. Michael's (Old) Catholic Cemetery Belleville Avenue, between Crittenden Street and Fourth Avenue Moved in the 1950's
Third Presbyterian Church Cemetery 903-917 Broad Street From 1872 map of Newark
Trinity Episcopal Church Cemetery Rector Street  
West Newark 670 South 10th Street Founded 1855
Woodland Cemetery
(West Newark Cemetery)
670 South 10th Street Founded 1855
Woodside/Coeyman Family Cemetery Newark (Woodside section)  
Jewish Cemeteries
Acudith Ackim Grove Street, South Orange Avenue  
Anshai Russia (Cong.) Grove Street, South Orange Avenue  
Arlington Cemetery Association Belleville Turnpike in North Arlington  
Belmont Avenue Jewish Cemetery   Founded 1848, no longer in existence
Bethel Memorial Park    
B'Nai Jeshurun (Cong.) Newark/Hillside  
Grove Street Jewish Cemetery   Founded 1898
Mount Olivet Jewish Cemetery    
Orden B'Nai Jocob of N. J. 530 South Orange Avenue, Newark  
Oheb Scholem (Cong.) 526 South Orange Avenue, Newark  
Sons of Abraham (Order) 526 South Orange Avenue, Newark  
Talmud Torah Cemetery   Founded 1896
Union Fields-B'Nai Abraham Cemetery   Founded 1879