Records located at:
125 Central Ave.
East Orange, NJ 07018
- If you have any photos of this cemeterery please email
St. Mary's Cemetery was the parish cemetery for
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church. It is located in East Orange,
bounded by Hoffman Blvd, the railroad, Rutledge Ave. and Springdale
Ave. A number of years ago it was sold to the Diocese. All records
are now kept at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery.
From "Hand book and guide for the city of Newark, New Jersey:
carefully edited and compiled from authentic sources" Newark
Daily Advertiser Print, 1872:
St. Mary's is situated just outside the city limits in the plain
lying north of Roseville and east of Orange. The grounds are small,
perfectly level, and destitute of much pretension to ornament. One
large tree throws its branches aloft, a tall crucifix with a life
size image of the Savior nailed to it, a few neat monuments and
a large number of humble crosses to mark the various graves. Such
is the aspect of St. Mary's It is, however, being planted with willows
and evergreens, young as yet, but which will in time make the Cemetery
a very pleasing object in the landscape.