Catholic Cemeteries of the Archdiocese of Newark
LDS Microfilm numbers are at the
bottom of the page.
Holy Sepulchre Cemetery's mailing address is in East Orange, but
half of the cemetery lies in Newark and has served the residents
of Newark, NJ throughout it's years of operation (founded 1859).
It is not a parochial cemetery (i.e. one that is connected to a
parish) but is rather a diocesan cemetery. The cemetery lies just
four blocks from Fairmount Cemetery and is almost as large, over
20 square blocks between Grove Street, Central Ave., Birchwood/Maybaum
Aves. and South Orange Ave. Holy Sepulchre's entrance is also on
Central Avenue (Cemetery Office), with a side entrance on Grove
Street. The cemetery is split into two parts by the New Jersey Garden
State Parkway, with some headstones just four feet from the shoulder
of the roadway.
The records, (Indexes and Day books), for the Cemetery are available
in three places. They have been microfilmed by the LDS Family History
Center Library and you can order them for viewing through their
branches. When accessing the Family History Center's Catalog; look
under cemeteries in East Orange to find the holdings for Holy Sepulchre.
Seton Hall University (973-761-9476) also has microfilmed records
at it's Walsh
Library Special Collection Center. Be aware that there
is sometimes a 6 month waiting list to view films due to availability
of microfilm readers.
The last place that has the records is the Cemetery itself. Please
be aware that the cemetery doesn't employ people to assist genealogists
and contacting the cemetery may not yield the positive results of
the first two choices.
Father Curley has transcribed some of the headstones, principally
those that mention an Irish place of birth.
For further information contact Augustine
J. Curley, O.S.B
From "Hand book and guide for the city of Newark,
New Jersey: carefully edited and compiled from authentic sources"
Newark Daily Advertiser Print, 1872:
"The Cemetery of the Holy Sepulchre, or The Bishop's Cemetery,
as it is also called, occupies a most admirable situation in what
is destined to be one of the handsomest sections of the city. It
fronts eastwardly on Grove Street, and northward on Central Avenue,
and contains thirty-eight acres. It is in contemplation to purchase
some adjacent tracts of land which will extend the area to about
one hundred acres, and give a third front to the Cemetery on South
Orange Avenue. The charter was secured in 1871, so recently that
of course improvements may only be said to be beginning to developed
themselves. The grounds fronting on Grove Street have been divided
into three sections, separated by broad avenues, running westward.
On the central section of these, improvements have been in progress
for sometime, in a way that promises a most beautiful Cemetery in
the future. Numerous interments have been made, and many tasteful
monuments already erected here. The entrance is by a neat gateway
on the principal avenue, called The Way of the Cross. Half-way on,
and at a point where the grounds slope gently to the western boundary,
this avenue is intersected by another, called The Way of Angels.
At the point of intersection, both wind round a small heart shaped
reservation, on which is shortly to be erected a mortuary chapel,
with receiving vaults where a clergyman from the cathedral will
be in attendance to conduct all burial services. Already graves
have begun to thicken on the western slope, though for the most
part, interments are confined to either side of The Way of the Cross
towards the gate. The arrangement of the grounds in the central
section are essentially different from that contemplated for the
portions to the north and south. The former being intersected by
straight walks, running across the grounds on either hand, while
in the latter they will be laid out in serpentine walks. On the
avenue furthest north, called The Way of the Apostles, a very neat
private chapel has been built by the Very Rev. M. A. Corrigan D.
D., president of Seton Hall College. Until very recently the woods
around the Cemetery had scarcely been opened, but now streets and
avenues stretch on every hand, and the handsome character of the
villa residences already erected to the north, indicate a section
of unusual elegance and beauty."
Burials at CHS
"PINFIELD Burials at CHS
Microfilm Numbers of the LDS FHC for Holy Sepulchre
|First Name on Microfilm
||Last Name on Microfilm
||Denison, Mary E.
|Denison, Roy E.
|Garrison, Edna J.
|Kiernan, John F.
||McGill, Wm. H.
|McGill, William T.
||Nolan, Patrick A.
|Nolan, Patrick J.
||Reilly, Catherine Ann
|Reilly, Catherine C.
||Ryan, Timothy A.
|Ryan, Timothy J.
||Sisko, Michael R.
|First Year on Microfilm
||Last Year on Microfilm
||1870 (Last book on next roll)
||1907 (Last book on next roll)