Clinton Cemetery Association was founded on Feb 28,
1844 in what was then Camptown, an unincorporated village in Clinton
Township, Essex County. In 1852 Camptown 's name was changed to
Irvington. In 1874 Irvington was incorporated as a village, later
becoming a town. The remainder of Clinton Township was gradually
absorbed by Newark.
Clinton Cemetery is a non-profit, non-sectarian lot-owner owned
cemetery. It consists of 10.5 acres on Union Avenue, near Lyons
Avenue. Burials number approx. 11,000. The cemetery is currently
active with about 25 burials per year. The address is 195 Union
Avenue, Irvington, NJ 07111. Records go back to the first burial,
Elder Simon Clough (1800-1844), one of the founders of the town's
First Christian Church. He died May 20, 1844. His stone is still
extant. Early records are naturally somewhat sketchy. Irvington's
only cemetery, Clinton is a directory in marble and limestone of
the pioneers and builders of Irvington and environs. More than 500
veterans are buried here.
Information may be obtained by mail (the office is not open to
the public), provided a self-addressed stamped envelope is supplied.
Extensive research may require a modest fee, which will be quoted
in advance. A map of the cemetery is available for $5. Persons interested
in visiting the cemetery are advised that the gates are always open;
however, caution is in order when visiting any urban cemetery.
The president of the cemetery since 1972 is Alan A. Siegel, to
whom correspondence should be addressed. The construction of the
Garden State Parkway in the mid-1950s did not disturb the cemetery;
the highway swings to the east as it passes the cemetery.